29 April 2016

Raindrop cake attempt #1-Fail

As you see the name of the post, you really know that my raindrop cake was failed. I call it mochi cake. Do you know what the raindrop cake is? Here is it's picture.

The mochi picture from the internet 

According to The Cooking of Joy, "The mizu shingen mochi from Kinseiken Seika made a huge splash across the internet (pun intended). Shaped like a giant drop of water, it is made from spring water from the Japanese Alps and supposedly disintegrates after 30 minutes at room temperature."

I was excited to make the cake because my hubby and I really really love it. We ate the cake two years ago, and I still remember how it tasted until now.

I found out the recipe on the internet, and I tried it. The result was failed, though. hehehe. I thought it was not the recipe wrong, it is because of agar powder which I used.

The source of the internet. 

When I watched the video, I noted that the owner of the video used different agar powder, but I read the recipe, it told me that we can use any kinds of agar powder in Asian groceries. That is why I used it. hehehe.

Here is the recipe

15 gr (1tbs) agar powder

20 gar (1tbs+1tsp) sugar

500ml (2 cups) of water

And it was failed. I got rocks instead of raindrop cakes. They were tasteless, and smell stinking. hehehe

Who need rocks, come on! lol

I typed this post to keep my memory. Besides, I like to save my whole process until I get the right recipe.

Update: 



 Here are the other attempts, click here to read my attempt #3 and  click here to read #4 (very close)

Hana

3 comments:

  1. Haa at first I visited your blog and bought this agar powder. I thought it may work if I reduce agar and more water. Omg. I failed many many times . You have to find the right jelly powder Here use this jelly powder and save some time and money. http://m.ebay.com/itm/142096446841Lucky, I found this jelly powder. It's so easy to used. the result is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend,

      Thanks for your link, and now I know that we can use this jelly powder to make the rain drop. It is so interesting. I am so sorry to hear that you tried to adjust the water and agar powder, but still fail many times. The agar powder is actually not for this cake, and I explained about that in my rain drop cake attempt #2 & #3. (http://cookisgreat.blogspot.com/2016/04/raindrop-cake-version-2-very-close.html)

      I hope you could read my rain drop cake attempt#4 if you have time (http://cookisgreat.blogspot.com/2016/06/raindrop-cake-attempt-4.html), this is very close to the taste that I tasted before in my country.

      Thanks for visiting my blog friend, nice to meet you.

      Hana

      Delete
  2. Haa at first I visited your blog and bought this agar powder. I thought it may work if I reduce agar and more water. Omg. I failed many many times . You have to find the right jelly powder Here use this jelly powder and save some time and money. http://m.ebay.com/itm/142096446841Lucky, I found this jelly powder. It's so easy to used. the result is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete