25 February 2016

Tofu story


As my friends said, "I might cause the economics is going down because I produce everything like sausage, soy sauce, vinegar, etc." and now I make tofu on my own. Hehehe

Actually, I have not ever thought that I will make tofu. It was when I bought tofu from the stores in Houston. Yuck!!! The tofu became mildewy after a day. I threw them away and tried to buy next time but they were. 

Finally, I tried to make homemade tofu and I struggled to get them. There were a lot of recipes online. But they used many kinds of coagulators that I must buy. I did not want to, so I found the recipes that I could use things which are always available in my kitchen to make coagulators. It was so convenient. 

Click here to see the Extra firm tofu recipe. 
Click here to see how to fry (bake) tofu without using oil.
Click here to see the medium tofu recipe. 
First recipe: salt and lemons



I did not have tofu mold at that time, so I used a basket. 
I was so happy at that time, I never believed that I could make tofu. Yahooo

I fried them and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them. They were chewy, but I loved them.
Then I tried to find another recipe that did not use lemons because lemons were not available in my kitchen all the time.

Second recipe: vinegar and salt

It was chewier than the first one, but the tofu solidified slowly. It took a while to solidify them. I had to wait for the milk boiled, and cool it down to 185 F degree. I thought I used coagulator a little. I must have heated them in the microwave then it continued to solidify again. 

Their shapes looked better. 

I fried them and brought to my mom but everybody said they were very chewy. Needed softer. Hehehe
Then I tried the second one more two times but they solidified too slow.

I and my hubby decided to eat more tofu, and I thought I would make tofu every week. We tried to make a tofu mold. Actually, my dad made it. Hehehe
Here it is. Tada...  :))
I tried the second one again and again but I was not satisfied. 
Finally, I found a recipe online and made the tofu easier. It solidifies so quickly. Thanks, bepnha.worldexpress.com for sharing the recipe.

I love the recipe because I do not need to focus on the temperature of tofu. As the old recipe, we must have left soya milk to reach to 180 F degree, and pour coagulator, then.

Click here to see the Extra firm tofu recipe. 
Click here to see how to fry (bake) tofu without using oil.
Click here to see the medium tofu recipe. 

Hana




















No comments:

Post a Comment