13 September 2016

Kimchi - A copycat - Recipe

I promised to write the recipe to you, Yen sister, but I haven't finished yet. Actually, I took these pictures for a very long time, but I did not write the recipe yet. Haizzz

Today, I am going to write it down to Yen sister and to you, Sammi. I hope that you all can have fresh and delicious kimchi. Thanks, maangchi.com for sharing the recipe. The recipe is from Maangchi, but I had noted it a little bit because it is not easy to buy the same ingredients in my country as well as my current place.

Please read the notes (tips) below (at the end of this post) as well before you try this recipe. If you follow my tips, I am sure that you will not fail. Hehehe

Ingredients 
Porridge*
4 tbsp sweet rice flour
1 & 1/2 cup of water
2 tbs sugar

Kimchi
2,5 kg (5 lbs) cabbage 
1/2 cup coarse salt

Kimchi sauce:
*Porridge 
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup sliced spring onion 
1/2 cup crushed garlic 
1 tbs minced ginger

Others:
1 & 1/2 cup red pepper powder (for kimchi)
1 lbs julienne carrots
5 green onion (just using green parts)
Preparing the porridge:
- Mix the sweet rice flour and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for a while until the mixture is translucent. Then, put the sugar in it, and stir it well. Turn off the heat, and set it aside to let it cool.
Preparing cabbage:
- Cut the cabbages into desired pieces that you want.
- Sprinkle salt on them, and mix them well. Set it aside about 2 hours. Every 30 minutes using the spatula to turn the cabbage in the bottom up. As you see the picture, the water from cabbage is coming out.
Preparing the kimchi sauce:
Meanwhile waiting for the cabbage, you will prepare the kimchi sauce.
- Put all ingredients of the kimchi sauce into the blender, blend them until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the kimchi sauce into a mixing bowl. Set it aside.
Meanwhile
- Checking the cabbages by curving a piece of cabbage, if it is flexible it is time to wash the cabbage.
- Rinse and drain them several times. (4 times)
- Put the Korean pepper, carrots, and green onion into the mixing bowl with the kimchi sauce in it. Mix them well.
- Preparing to mix kimchi hehehe
- Put some salted cabbages into the kimchi sauce bowl a little by little until all cabbages and kimchi sauce are incorporated.
Tada! I am done, put the kimchi into a glass jar. Place it in the fridge immediately if you like to eat non-sour kimchi. If you do like your kimchi sourer, just let it outside for 12 hours, and then place it in the fridge to keep it fresh. What are you waiting for now? Let's eat!!!


Note:
When you read the kimchi recipe, you might think that it is a piece of cake. However, it is not as easy as you think if you do not choose the right ingredients. Here are my tips for you to be successful at the first time. 
Korean pepper powder
- Buy the one for making kimchi. Don't buy the one for making Korean pepper paste. The one for pepper paste is too spicy. There are two brands that I bought. I recommend you to buy the right one because its color is brighter than the left one. Your kimchi looks delicious when its color is bright.
- Do not reduce the pepper powder in the recipe more than 1/2 cup because it helps your kimchi become very thick.
Green onion:
- It is for you, Yen: please do not use the white parts of the green onion because your kimchi will be stinky, believe me! I am serious. I tried it before, and I threw the whole kimchi.
Fish sauce:
Do not use an expensive fish sauce brand. Yeah, you may want to use the best thing for your kimchi, but it would not help. It might destroy your kimchi. You have to use the regular fish sauce, the cheap one.
If you are in Vietnam, use these brands
Source: from internet
Salt:
Do not use iodine salt because it is too salty. Your kimchi might be wilt and too salted because of it. Just use coarse salt or the regular one. 
If you are in Vietnam, use powdered salt.
Source: Internet

Sweet rice flour:
If you do not have it in hand, just use sticky rice instead of. However, you might cook it for a while.

Salted cabbages: 
- Please be patient waiting for the water of the cabbages all come out. If you do not pay attention to it, your kimchi might become soup kimchi because the water in the cabbages will continuously come out when it is in the jar.
- Checking the cabbages by curving the thickest piece of the cabbage, if it is flexible it is time to wash the cabbage.
Last, don't ask me why there is a blog address in my pictures, hehehe. Actually, the blog is my Vietnamese blog, where I write the recipe in Vietnamese for my friends who want to read Vietnamese. However, my English is poor, so I want to practice more. That is why I prefer to write it here. hehehe

Have a good day! Yen sister and Sammi. I hope you enjoy it.
Hana


No comments:

Post a Comment