15 April 2016

Making golden syrup for mooncakes

I want to make mooncakes long time ago, but I am scared of making golden syrup. I do not want to use lye water to make syrup, because it is dangerous for my health.

Finally, I decided to make on my own this year. I am not sure it will be on time or not because my mold is still not here. Hehehe.

I cooked my syrup for mooncakes, and I thought that I do not need to write the recipe. However, I changed my mind. I think I should type it so I can use for next time. Besides, for someone who really needs it.

Ingredients:

1/2 of pineapple
300gr sugar
300 ml of hot water
1 branch of cinnamon 2 inches
1/2 lemon

Let's do it
- Cut pineapple into small pieces.
- Pour sugar into a pot, and pour hot water into it as well. 
- Put pineapple in the pot.
- Scale the pot and note it 1,790 gr.
Squeeze 1/2 lime or lemon will be fine.
Heat it in medium high heat
Take the dirty bubbles
When there are no more dirty bubbles, turn the heat to low. 
Put cinnamon in it. Continue to simmer about 1 hour
After 1 hour, scale the pot again. If it weighs less than before about 200~250 gram. The syrup is done.

My syrup is less than before 300gr. That is why my syrup is too thick.
Set it aside, and take out the pineapple. 
Cool it down
Heat the jar at 200 F degree, 10minutes

Ladle the syrup into the glass jar. 
Done!!!! Luck at its color. So sexy, right?
Tips:
- There are many ways to know when your syrup is done. I love the scale method because it is easy and never fails. 
- Do not use any things like a spoon, spatula to stir the mixture. Otherwise, your syrup will be failed.
- The more you keep the syrup, the more delicious the syrup is.


No comments:

Post a Comment